Wow- we can’t quite believe how quickly time has flown, but this weekend marks a year since Sheffield Slings was founded by 5 slinging mums. And what a difference a year makes:
- We now have over 470 members in our Facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/saturdayslings) where parents come for chat, for advice on slings and parenting questions, to share highs and get support on the low days. To show off their beautiful little ones- and their lovely carriers! To arrange meets all over the city, and to coordinate day trips further afield. And of course, to have a good giggle!
- In October we won the International Babywearing Association’s Best Babywearing Outreach Programme 2012 Award. A very proud moment for us all!
- We have held meets in most parks, cafes, museums, and public spaces in Sheffield and surrounding area. With an average of 3 meets a week, that means over 150 meets have happened over the year! We’ve taken dogs on walks, rambled in the Peaks, had train trips to Grindleford and York, wandered the aisles and escalators of Meadowhall, crossed rivers on stepping stones, and gone many other places that buggies can’t reach.
- We have taken part in Peace in the Park, Party in the Park, the Sheffield Children’s Festival, the Breastfeeding in Sheffield’s Breastfeeding awareness picnic, a Zumba flash mob, Chance to Dance and One Billion Rising events.
- We have helped numerous new parents find the carrier that suits their little one, their body shape, their lifestyle and their budget. Our demo stash has been used by hundreds of mums and dads as they try out all the different options.
- 13 of our members are now Babywearing Peer Supporters, after completing the course which covers safety, carrier types and good positioning in slings amongst other things.
- 1 of our members, one of the 5 founders, has gone on the complete the Babywearing consultancy course and is now qualified to do small group and 1-1 consultations for parents. She has set up Sheffield Sling Surgery (http://sheffieldslingsurgery.wordpress.com) and has been very busy helping new parents and old hands in equal measure!
- We’ve organised mass meets with sling users from other parts of the country, invading the National Railway Museum in York!
- We’ve appeared in the local paper, featuring on a double page spread and taking over the letters to the editor.
- We have done demos of slings to groups from the NCT, breastfeeding groups and baby and toddler groups all over the city, with more planned each month.
- …and so much more!
We are celebrating our first birthday with a family picnic on Saturday 8th June at Ponderosa public park in Sheffield, and a number of our members are taking part in Race for Life on Sunday 9th June- walking / jogging the 5k while carrying their slings. At time of posting we had raised over £600, and you can donate to our cause at http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sheffield-slings
We are looking forward to seeing what the next year brings. Want to be a part of it? Come on in!